During this past decade, the Graduate Program of the Yogyakarta Indonesia Institute of the Arts (ISI) has proven its quality in anticipating the advancement of science, technology and arts in global era and has managed to respond towards the community’s high interest on participating in arts education in the graduate level.
The Arts Creation and Arts Study Program, which holds an A grade from the National Accreditation Board, is confirmed by the permit issued by the Directorate General for Higher Education of the National Education Department No. 1462/D/T/2004 on 21th of April 2004.
Until the end of the 2008/2009 academic year, The Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program has graduated 335 magisters that came from various arts and non-art universities, also some artists from across Indonesia.
The commitment of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta is to optimize performances that oriented to the intellectual, sophistication, and the advancement of arts in order to fulfill societies needs. Thus, we invite all bachelors from arts or non-arts universities to join us.
Study Programs and Interests
The Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta consist two studying levels, a master (S-2) and doctoral (S-3) program. The Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program holds two study interests: (1) Arts Creation and (2) Arts Studies.
Aim of Study
The Arts Creation and Arts Studies Program of ISI Yogyakarta aims to yield graduates who:
- Have good personalities that are based upon the cultural values of Indonesia
- Capable to create and analyze works of arts contextually and professionally
- Capable to develop art works and scientific works creatively and innovatively
- Capable to contribute their expertise to the community
The Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta is located in Suryodiningratan Street No. 8, Yogyakarta, that is why this campus is often called the Surya Campus. It is located upon a 10,000 m2 land. Its location is so strategic because it is still in the downtown area, however it is not noisy and is relatively peaceful, shady, and comfortable for academic activities. The scenic and peaceful atmosphere of Surya Campus is hoped to help the students in increase the creativity and create great masterpieces.
Each faculty has most of the studios used for practicing, whether it is the studio for art performances, fine arts, or multi media arts. However for practical reasons and create a conducive academic environment, some of small studios are in Surya Campus, i.e. painting, sculpturing, woodcraft, ceramic craft, dance and musical studios.
Recently, a number of small studios, i.e. visual communication design, textile, craft, and photography were built in order to meet the increasing number of students. In 2009, all academic administrative matters was computerized. Also in the same year, a free Wi-Fi facility was provided, even the campus’ website was socialized. This year, all of the class rooms are air-conditioned.
Most of the book collection is at the ISI Yogyakarta Central Library, nevertheless a number of books that are useful for the students are provided in the Library of the Graduate Program.
- Scientific Journals
Since 2005 the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta has published a journal called Surya Seni. This journal is issued every semester and contains an article of the student theses and other scientific writings on arts creation and studies. Apart from Surya Seni, ISI Yogyakarta also has a number of scientific journals that are published by each faculty and units, e.g. SENI (by the Institute), Ekspresi and Fenomen (by the Research Department), Resital , Joged, Tonil, Slonding (by the Performing Arts Department), ARS (Fine Arts Department), and Rekam (Multi Media Arts Department). All of these scientific journals are good references that provide actual data on the diversity of art and culture.
- Academic Requirements
- Holding a Bachelor degree in arts or art-education. Candidates from non-arts department who have experiences in creating artworks and or studying arts are also welcomed to apply.
- Holding an academic competencies and have ever created artworks, and is considered to be able to follow the master academic process with a minimum GPA of 2.75
- Administrative Requirements
- Submit a written application letter by filling in the admission form provided at the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta at http://www.pascaisi.com
- Submit the enclosures (2 copies) of required in the application form as follow:
- Bachelor Degree (S1) diploma and legalized academic transcripts
- Two copies of recommendation letters from a lecturer or professional who acknowledges the candidate’s academic abilities
- Portfolios or video recordings in the form of CDs/DVDs of the artworks that has been shown at an exhibition /performance minimum 2 pieces in the last three years (required for applicants for the Arts Creation)
- Copied of research papers/scientific publications, minimum 2 paperworks for the last three years (required for applicants for the Arts Studies)
- A short description about the candidate interest to take the graduate program. The description should contain reasons and expectations also the project that the candidates would do after they graduate
- Curriculum vitae
- Permit from the institution of the candidate
- Doctor’s certificate
- Receipts from the admission fee of 250,000.00 IDR paid via Rektor ISI Yogyakarta Acc. No.: 0030440945 BNI 46 Branch Yogyakarta, Jln. Parangtritis No. 120, Yogyakarta
For foreigners candidate besides the requirements mentioned in no. 1 and 2 must:
- Submit a special permit from the Directorate General of the National Education Board of Indonesia
- Submit a legal letter of bachelor degree leveling in Indonesia from the National Education Board of Indonesia
- Fluently in Indonesia language
- Paying the admission fee (via BNI 46) in order to get the admission form from the Education and Student Department Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta (plus shipping fee for those who wish the form to be posted).
- Submit a written Application Letter by filling in the form and sending it to the Director of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta. Enclose all the needed requirements, both academic and administrative requirements, and send them with the application letter.
- Register as a New Student by showing the Letter of Approval from the Director of the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta.
The Curriculum of the Arts Creation (42 Credits)
First Semester (14 Credits) – Art Theory (2) – Art Creation Methodology (2) – Art Management I (2) – Elective Practical Courses I (2) – Elective Theoretical Courses*adj. (2) – Art Creation I*adj. (4)
Second Semester (12 Credits) – Aesthetics (2) – Art Criticism (2) – Arts Creation Seminar I*adj. (2) – Elective Practical Courses II *adj. (2) – Arts Creation II (4)
Third Semester (8 Credits) – Arts Management II (2) – Arts Creation Seminar II (2) – Arts Creation III *adj. (4)
Fourth Semester (8 Credits) – Final Project (8 Credits)*adj.
The Curriculum of the Arts Studies (42 Credits)
First Semester (14 Credits) – Art Theory (2) – The History of Arts (2) – The Anthropology of Arts (2) – Elective Practical Courses I (2) – Elective Theoretical Courses*adj. (2) – Arts Studies I*adj. (4)
Second Semester (12 Credits) – Aesthetics (2) – Art Criticism (2) – Theory of Culture*adj. (2) – Elective Arts Analysis Methodology II *adj. (2) – Arts Studies II (4)
Third Semester (8 Credits) – Arts Management II (2) – Arts Analysis Seminar II (2) – Arts Studies III*adj. (4)
Fourth Semester (8 Credits) – Final Project (8 Credits)*
Elective Theoretical Courses
Only in Odd Semesters: The History of Arts – The Anthropology of Arts – The Sociology of Arts – Theory of Communications – Semiotics
Elective Practical Courses
Odd Semester: Movement Explorations, Sound Explorations, Expressive Pictures, The Art of the Renaissance, Digital Photography, and Multi-media Presentation Methodology
Even Semester: Art Performance –Exploration of Form / Shape – Variations of Jewelry – Computer Graphic – B/W Photography – Video Creating-Editing
*adj. the courses are adjusted with the main choice of study concentration: Dance / Music / Theater Art Performance / Painting / Sculpture / Graphic Design / Woodcraft / Metal works /Ceramic Craft / Textile / Leather Works / Interior Design / Visual Communication Design / Fine Arts
The Doctoral Program of ISI Yogyakarta is confirmed by the permit issued by the Directorate General of High Education of the National Education Department No. 1881/D/T/2006 on April 12, 2006. The study program bearing the name of Doctoral Program of Arts Creation and Review has two study interests, namely Arts Creation Program and Arts Review Program.
The education system of the Doctoral Program of ISI Yogyakarta is structurally designed to enhance the concepts of creation and review to enable the interpretation into work of arts and applied research, which is necessary in dealing with the complex challenge of competition in the future.
Through this guided program, the doctoral students (promovendus) is expected to have a comprehensive knowledge about crafting and methodology of arts, so that they are able to enhance the new concepts of arts creation and review by using interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approach based on national and international culture.
Vision, Mission, and Goal
In 2020, the Doctoral Program of Arts Creation and Studies of ISI Yogyakarta become the center of arts creation and studies, which is creative, innovative, responsive, and able to solve the present problems.
- Arts Creation Program: to give a greater emphasis on lateral, integrative, synthetic, and inclusive thinking aspects to create work of arts with new ideas and forms, up to date, and multi-dimensional.
- Arts Studies Program: to give a greater emphasis on analytical, linear, and reductive thinking aspects, with abstraction to review and solve the present problems of arts with a new or multidisciplinary approach.
To yield graduates who:
- Have the critical attitude and strong character in appreciating and exploiting the richness of Indonesian culture value diversity and in facing the present cultural challenge.
- Have an open mind, broad knowledge, and multidisciplinary opinion in creating or reviewing arts.
- Capable to produce any monumental work of arts or scientific work creatively and innovatively.
- Capable to self-actualize through work of arts or scientific work as a social-culture contribution to the society.
- Capable to show their capacity as a doctor of arts through qualified work of arts or literary work to the society.
Location and Facility
The Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta is located on Jl. Suryodiningratan No. 8, Yogyakarta, and therefore it is commonly referred as the Surya campus. This campus is located on a ± 10,000 m2 land. Geographically, it is very strategic since it lies in downtown area, however it is not too noisy and relatively quiet, shady, and comfortable for the teaching-learning activities to take place.
The beautiful and quiet Surya campus is expected to be able to develop students’ creativity and to produce major and qualified work of arts.
Each faculty has most of the studios for practicing, whether it is the studio of performing arts, fine arts, and multi media arts. However, for practical reasons and to create a conducive academic atmosphere, some small studios are located on Surya campus, i.e. painting, sculpturing, woodcraft, ceramic craft, dancing, and music studios. Due to the increasing number of students, recently ISI Yogyakarta added some small studios, such as the visual communication design, textile craft, and photography studios.
Most of the book collection is at ISI Yogyakarta Central Library, however the books which are useful for the students are directly provided at the Graduate Program Library. Since 2005 the Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta has published a scientific journal named Surya Seni. This journal is issued every semester, which present the summary of the graduate students’ theses and other scientific work on arts creation and review.
Since 2009, to support the admission of new students and academic administration, a computerized program and website is introduced along with a free Wi-Fi facility. This year, most of the classes are air-conditioned.
Students’ Admission System
- Holding a Graduate degree from an art university or other equal universities, with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Having an ability to communicate in English with a minimum TOEFL score of 450.
- Having the ability in academic field and/or work of arts, and is able to take a doctoral program which is the continuation of the graduate program. However, graduate students from other study programs who have the ability or reputation in creating or reviewing arts are welcomed to apply.
- Filling in the Doctoral Program Application Form which is available in the Student Office of ISI Yogyakarta, or by downloading from http://www.pascaisi.com, enclosed with two copies of each attachment; except for item 3.i.
- Receipts from the admission fee of 400.000,00 IDR which is paid via Rektor ISI Yogyakarta, Acc. No.: 0030440945 BNI 46 Branch Office on Jl. Parangtritis No. 120, Yogyakarta.
- Copies of legalized Graduate Degree (S2) certificate. Applicants from abroad must enclose the Letter of Certificate Equalization from the National Education Department of Indonesia.
- Copies of legalized Graduate Degree academic transcripts.
- Copies of certificates and academic transcripts of other formal education which has been taken (if available).
- Copies of legalized TOEFL (500) certificate (valid for two years).
- Five copies of portfolio or CD/VCD of at least two published work of arts in performances or exhibitions within the last three years, along with a Statement of Work Originality with reference by Expert (required for applicants of Arts Creation Program).
- Five copies of at least two published scientific work (books/journals/seminar papers) within the last three years, along with a Statement of Work Originality with reference by Expert (required for applicants of Arts Review Program).
- Proofs of scientific activities or arts activities (seminars, workshops, group performances/exhibitions), such as copies of catalog, certificate, charter, etc.
- Five copies of pre-proposal of Arts Creation/Arts Studies for the Doctoral program, minimum of twenty pages (see the Pre-proposal Composition Manual).
- Permission letter from the company; required if applicants work for government or private companies.
- Two letters of recommendation from former advisor, lecturer, or artist/cultural observer about the academic or creativity abilities of the applicants.
Foreign applicants must fulfill the requirements:
- Submit a special permission letter from the Directorate General of Higher Education of the National Education Department of Indonesia.
- Submit a letter of graduate degree leveling in Indonesia from the National Education Department of Indonesia.
- Influence in Indonesia language.
- Fulfill other general admission requirements.
- Submit a written application by filling in the Doctoral Program of ISI Yogyakarta Application Form, sent to the Director of the Graduate Program (in a sealed envelope) to: Graduate Program of ISI Yogyakarta, Jl. Suryodiningratan No. 8, Yogyakarta, 55143.
- Application letter must mention the desired study program, along with the topic of arts research/creation.
- Application letter is made in two copies.
Schedule and Interview
- For applicants with institution/personal funding: February – July.
- Interview for institution/personal funding applicants: August.
Selection for Doctoral Program Applicants
Selection is based on:
- Applicants’ background, covering: (1) applicants’ former formal education and achievements (2) published scientific work or work of arts; and (3) other activities related to the desired study program.
- The quality of arts research/creation pre-proposal.
- Interview result.
- Selection result is announced on August via letter from the Director of Graduate Program, enclosed with registration requirements as new students/candidates. The announcements can be seen on website.
- All approved applicants must register as new students of the Doctoral program in the Student Office of Graduate Program ISI Yogyakarta, within the time limit as stated on the letter of approval.
- All approved applicants must pay the tuition fee as required.
- Every doctoral program student must register himself every semester.
Study Program and Interest
The Doctoral program of ISI Yogyakarta has one study program called the Doctoral Program of Arts Creation and Studies, with two study interests: (1) ARTS CREATION and (2) ARTS STUDIES.
Along with the study projection and the composition of arts creation proposal or dissertation, every applicant must determine a study interest along with the chosen field of arts/major interest, namely:
- ARTS CREATION with interest in Performing Arts/Fine Arts/Multi Media Arts.
- ARTS STUDIES with interest in Performing Arts/Fine Arts/Multi Media Arts
Study Load and Time
- Totally, the study load consists of 40-44 credits, with 24 credits (Work of Arts & Academic Scripts, or Dissertations) and 20 credits of structured subjects.
- The doctoral program students must take and pass all obligatory subjects on the first and second semester as many as 16-20 credits, with minimum GPA of 3.00 as a requirement to take a Qualification Test.
- A doctoral program student can only take a study load with maximum of 12 credits per semester.
- The learning activities are scheduled for 6 semesters, with maximum 10 semesters for arts applicants and 11 semesters for non-arts applicants.